High School Math ITQ: Quantitative Reasoning
June 11 - 15, 2018 | 8 am - 5 pm
This secondary mathematics project is designed to support teachers in being able to successfully offer a 4th year Quantitative Reasoning Course (possibly as dual-enrollment), which focuses on a broad array of concepts and skills generally useful in university courses, employment, personal decision making, and understanding the social and natural worlds sufficiently to serve as good citizens.
Content development will focus on:
- Developing a shared understanding of what Quantitative Literacy and Quantitative Reasoning are.
- Conceptual understanding and application of contemporary quantitative methods.
- The use of technology tools to further promote understanding and applications of quantitative reasoning in all kinds of real world contexts, including finance, politics, science, art, sports, and more.
- Sharing curricula consistent with a focus on developing quantitative literacy in all students, especially those in their terminal high school math course.
- Development of mathematical practices to promote authentic engagement in the teaching and learning of quantitative literacy.
- Developing capacity for successful implementation beyond this project.
- 40 hours of face-to-face Professional Development, designed to deepen teacher knowledge and practices associated with Quantitative Literacy, as well as implementation of Arizona College & Career Readiness Standards
- $1,000 Stipend
- Opportunity to purchase 3 graduate credit hours for less than $160 per credit hour
- Professional Development Materials
High School teachers interested in teaching a 4th year math course focused on Quantitative Reasoning (equivalent to NAU MAT 114 or UA MAT 142), Department Chair or Math Specialist.
Sunnyside District Office, Palo Verde Portable
2238 E. Ginter Road, Tucson AZ, 85706
Mandatory Informational Meeting: If your school is considering participating, you and your school administrator must attend this meeting on April 6, 2018 | 4 - 6 pm | Sunnyside District Office, Palo Verde Portable, 2238 E. Ginter Road, Tucson AZ, 85706
Denise Ryan, Program Director
Frameworks and Foundations
APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON MARCH 15, 2018.